public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada - Autumn 2009
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 am 

Well, it’s now autumn when the leaves turn pretty colors and news of more babies at the National! The Stork has visited Greta Hodgkinson as well as Alejandra Perez-Gomez! Hence, I have revised my casting for Sleeping Beauty as our Princess Auroras to Heather Ogden, Bridgett Zehr, Tanya Howard, and Sonia Rodriguez.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:37 am 

Check out a video of the 2009/2010 season along with a photo of Mrs. K where 30 years have miraculously been lost (you may have to wait for photo to come up)!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:28 pm 

Very enjoyable video -- thank you for posting it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:16 am 

Thanks for the video link. Looking forward to this season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19 pm 

You’re BOTH most welcome!

Such is the state of ballet news in the state of Toronto that Michael Crabb has stooped to moonlighting historical news for the Toronto Star! M.C. usually pens for the National Post. Perhaps he crossed the street? In any case, it is quite fitting to read a story about the National Ballet of Toronto-Sorry Canada-in the Toronto Star. Anyone who reads CD will find the enclosed old, old news....

Quote:
One way or another, taxpayers across the country make a substantial contribution to maintaining these organizations but, depending on where they live, have limited opportunities to see the full range of good work their money is doing. Even the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, once a useful surrogate purveyor of Canadian ballet to TV viewers across the land, has essentially left the field.

For National Ballet artistic director Karen Kain, who, as the company's prima ballerina performed in lengthy cross-country and foreign tours, it's a problem she's eager to resolve – certainly in time for the company's 60th anniversary in 2011. Without additional resources, which almost inevitably would have to be public funds, it's not going to be easy.

It is a shame the CBC or some other network apparently has no interest in broadcasting the National’s Nut, R&J, or perhaps Sleeping Beauty.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:55 am 

Good news for the NBoC, they’re only $423,000 in the red for last year-Instead of the feared 1 mil.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:13 am 

The National announced there will be quite a few dancers debuting in new roles for Sleeping Beauty: Jillian Vanstone, Tina Pereira, and Elena Lobsanova to name a few.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:19 pm 

At long last, I have found something post-worthy! Check out everything you’ve always wanted to know and, not know, about pointe shoes and the feet that fill them from Lorna Geddes-who celebrates half a century with the National Ballet of Canada! That in itself has to be some kind of Geddes World Record working with 1 company for 50 years!! Go ahead, can me, I’ve got a 50 year severance package!!! The National should give Miss Geddes a special night to commemorate her 50 years. She’s no doubt contributed in so many little ways; you couldn’t add it all up!

Quote:
"They get blisters. I've seen them lose toenails and ... they get really bad corns and even sometimes infections, and then you have to stop because your foot's all swollen."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 am 

Thanks for the links, Michael! I agree that Lorna should be given special recognition this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:59 pm 

Still no casting posted for Sleeping Beauty on the website but if you call The National (416 345 9595), they will provide casting for you! I am willing to make a small wager, they will read this post and post casting tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 pm 

The lovely Tanya Howard took time out of a busy rehearsal schedule to have LunchWithMary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 am 

As predicted by moi, the National posted casting the day after I posted the below! Of note, we have half a dozen different Sleeping Beauties (good to see)!

Quote:
Michael Goldbarth

Still no casting posted for Sleeping Beauty on the website but if you call The National (416 345 9595), they will provide casting for you! I am willing to make a small wager, they will read this post and post casting tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 am 

You called it, Michael! :)

Looks as if I'll be seeing Jason Reilly. Should be good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 am 

And, I’ll be seeing Heather Ogden x2! I just called to switch my West Side Story mixed program for a double douse of HO and moved my regular performance to a Heather Night. All of the above was done over the phone and they emailed me my tickets! Me happy. :D

I went to the box office yesterday only to find out they’re only open from 12 to 4 on non-ballet performance days. They cut back. Funny thing is they did have the opera people there. Would it be that difficult to do the ballet as well when most of the time they are sitting there waiting for a customer? Just a thought.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm 

I am sorry not to see Heather myself, but I'm going with my parents and it's all planned. I look forward to hearing your report!

And yes, you'd think that they could train someone to do both opera and ballet ticket sales, since I can't imagine they're overrun on weekdays.